As a dental hygiene student, you learn all about how to deliver the best care to your patients. The healthcare administration track gives you the opportunity to learn about the broader health care system and the business aspects that go into care delivery.
The Healthcare Administration Track in Dental Hygiene
Why students choose the track
“I chose to complete the Healthcare Administration Track in the Dental Hygiene program because I feel that it presents us with so much opportunity within our field after we begin our career.” Haley Motsinger
“I chose to complete the Healthcare Administration Track because I wanted to have a deeper understanding of what goes into the health care system beyond my role as a Dental Hygienist. I think it's important to understand the broader system so we can provide better care for our patients.” - Yelena Fox
“I have always been interested in the management or administrative side of healthcare and dental care. I may go back to school someday to become a dentist and it would be important for me to have a background in administration.”- Mackenzie Shorey
Students completing the Healthcare Administration Track complete five courses.
- PBHL H120
- PBHL H320
Choose One course:
- PBHL H345
- PBHL H375 (Students who wish to turn their track into a Certificate in Health Administration should select this course)
Choose two elective courses for 6 credits:
- PBHL H375* Management of Health Services Organizations
- PBHL H411 Chronic and Long Term Care Administration
- PBHL H420 Health Policy
- PBHL H432* Healthcare Marketing
- PBHL H441 Legal Aspects of Healthcare Administration
- PBHL H330 Global Public Health
- PBHL H310 Lean in Healthcare
- PBHL H325 Health Information Technology, Management and Policy
- PBHL H346 Organizational Behavior and HR Management in Healthcare
- PBHL H345* Operations Management and Quality Improvement in Health Organizations
- PBHL H305 Medical Group Management
- PBHL H315 High Risk Health Behaviors and Harm Reduction
- PBHL H101* Influencing the Public's Health
- PBHL-H303 Topics in Public Health
- PBHL-H455 Topics in Public Health
* These courses are offered online at least once per year.
Turn your healthcare administration track into a certificate
By adding just one more course in place of an open elective, dental hygiene students have the opportunity to turn their track into a Certificate in Health Administration. To earn the certificate, students must complete PBHL-H120, PBHL-H320, PBHL-H375, and three health administration electives.