The minor in environmental health science is designed to introduce students to selected aspects of current thinking on the nature, causes, and solutions of environmental public health problems. After completing the initial survey course on environmental health (PBHL-A 316), students select four additional courses from the electives list.
Minor in Environmental Health Sciences
Eligibility and Application Procedure
1. Students enrolled in baccalaureate programs at Indiana University or other accredited colleges or universities who are in good academic standing may pursue the minor in environmental health science.
2. Public Health students majoring in Environmental Health Science are not eligible for this minor.
3. Students must declare their intention to receive a minor by completing an application, which is available at the Fairbanks School of Public Health Student Services. Students may also contact the Undergraduate Academic Advisor at 317-278-0753 for the application or if they have questions. This application should be completed at the same time the student completes an application for graduation for the baccalaureate degree.
4. Students who successfully complete the requirements for the Environmental Health Science minor with a 2.0 GPA or above for all courses credited to the minor will have the minor conferred with their degree.
NOTE: Some courses listed below are not offered every semester – students should check with the Undergraduate Academic Advisor to determine scheduling of specific courses. Students should discuss their elective course selection with an EHS faculty member. Course substitutions and course waivers must be approved by the faculty advisor.
Minor Requirements (5 courses, 15 credit hours)
- Required Courses
Take one required course for three credits:
- PBHL A316 Environmental Health Science
- Elective Courses
Choose four courses for 12 credits:
- PBHL A300 Prevention Strategies to Improve Population health
- PBHL A300 Injury Prevention
- PBHL A300 Humans in Extreme Environments
- PBHL A300 Exposure Assessment Laboratory & Data Analysis
- PBHL A400 Public Health Applications of Geographic Information Systems
- PBHL A410 Fundamentals of Toxicology
- PBHL A433 Occupational Health and Safety
- PBHL A428 Public Health Sanitation
- PBHL A400 Terrorism as a Public Health Threat
- PBHL A400 Energy, Climate Change, Resilience, and Health
- PBHL A400 Global Environmental Health and Sustainable Development
- PBHL A400 Food and Water: Safety, Scarcity, Security
- PBHL A400 E-waste, Toxic Materials, and Conflict Minerals
- PBHL A400 High Cost of Fashion: Environmental Hazards and Cheap Labor
- PBHL A400 Explosions, Collapses, and Toxic Spills: Prevention and Response
- PBHL A400 Armed Conflict, Natural Disasters, and Health
Ready to Get Started?
Students must declare their intention to receive a minor by completing the application for minor form. This application should be completed at the same time you complete the application for graduation for your baccalaureate degree. Apply for a minor from the Richard M. Fairbanks School of Public Health by completing the application for a minor form and emailing it to Karen Looper at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Alternative accessible formats of the application can be obtained upon request by contacting email@example.com.