Deadline for Summer MURI Projects
The deadline for the submission of faculty MURI porjects for the summer of 2017 is Janaury 23, 2017. Please review the guidelines here.
Holocaust Remembrance Program
All are invited to attend the IUPUI Holocause Remembrance Program on Thursday, January 26 at 1:30pm in the IUPUI Campus Center Theater. The program includes remarks by Dr. Karen Dace, IUPUI Vice Chancellor for Diversity, Equity and Inclusion; a performance by the IUPUI University Choir; and a memorial Ccandle lighting by IUPUI students and faculty. Tibor Klopfer of the Holocaust Education Center of Indiana will present the keynote, "A Family's Experience - Hungarian Jews in the Holocaust."
Donate to Paw's Pantry
The IUPUI Staff Council invites you to participate in a spring service project supporting Paw's Pantry. Critical needs are as follows:
- Baking Items
- Canned Fruit
- Microwavable Items
- Individual Serving-sized Items
- Gluten Free Items
- Hygiene Products
Frozen items must be delivered directly to the pantry located in the Campus Center, room 220 during operational hours: Wed/Thurs, 10am - 6pm or Suite 270 Mon-Fri, 9am - 5pm
Drop-off bins are located at the following locations:
- Campus Center
- Ruth Lilly Library
- University Hall
- University Library
•University Library Visiting Scholar Dr. Timothy Eaton Will Offer Three Workshops on Public Scholarship January 24 & 25
Visiting Scholar Dr. Timothy Eaton will offer the following workshops:
- Demonstrating and Evaluating Quality Impact in Public Scholarship at a Research University - January 24
- Public and Engaged Scholarship to Support Excellence in Teaching, Research, and Service (with IUPUI Faculty Panel) - January 24
- Talking Tenure, Promotion, and Pathways to Engaged Scholarship: Breakfast Opportunity for Junior Faculty and Advanced Graduate Students - January 25
Learn more and register here.
Red Alliance Breast Health Summit
The Red Alliance invites you to the Breast Health Summit on February 25, 2017, 9am to 3pm. There will be workshops, mammograms and health screenings. For more information please email email@example.com.
JagStart Pitch Competition February 3, 2017
This year’s JagStart Pitch Competition will be accepting entries through February 3, 2017. JagStart is an annual elevator pitch competition that pits contestants against the clock to pitch their original ideas to a panel of judges. Students are invited to submit their ideas for innovative new products, new business ventures or compelling solutions to social challenges. For more info please visit the JagStart page.
Register for Indiana Public Health Education Advocacy Summit
The Indiana Society for Public Health Education Advocacy Committee would like to invite you to participate in the Indiana Public Health Education Advocacy Summit on Wednesday, February 15, 2017.
This event is an opportunity for public health professionals to collaborate, discuss the importance of advocacy in health legislation, and speak to legislators about the role of public health educators in eliminating health disparities and improving health outcomes. Plan to meet and speak with state representatives who have shared in public health efforts to improve and maintain the health of Indiana residents.
Further information and the link to the Eventbrite registration can be found here.
Volunteers Needed for the Marion County Health Department Point of Dispensing Exercise
Marion County Health Department is asking for FSPH student volunteers for a Point of Dispensing (POD) exercise on March 30, from 12:00 - 3:30 pm. They are in need of volunteers to play the "client" role and walk through the POD for practice. Interested FSPH students can sign up here.
Save the Date: First Conference of the Latinx Community-University Coalition of Indiana
All are welcome to attend the first conference of the Latinx Community-University Coalition of Indiana, learn about (and join) this new coalition, and share the work that is already being done in our state.
If you are university faculty, student or staff from any Indiana college or university interested in or already working with Latinos, please join. If you are a member of a community organization serving Latinos, please join. The aim of this organization is to connect us all to maximize the impact of everyone’s work.
The ultimate purpose of the Coalition is to address equity and wellbeing across the state of Indiana through interdisciplinary collaborations for research and programmatic service aimed at improving the quality of life of the Latino population in Indiana.
Friday, April 7, 2017 – 8:30 a.m. to 2:45 p.m. EST
Urban League, 777 Indiana Avenue, Indianapolis, IN 46202
(Convenient and free parking available)
2017 Healthy IU Wellness Opportunities Starting Soon
Healthy IU wellness opportunities are free for full-time faculty & staff. Spouses on an IU-sponsored medical plan are also welcome to participate for free!
Feel Great IU! Challenge
The Feel Great IU! Challenge is a 12-week university-wide online challenge to support you in attaining YOUR physical activity and/or weight management goals! Register today! Starts January 23.
The challenge includes:
- A personal online tracker where you can track either weight loss/maintenance; days of physical activity per week; or both.
- Access to educational programs during the challenge, such as Group Wellness Coaching, Walk to Wellness, and Weight Talk, among many other programs. Space is limited.
- Motivational e-mails.
- A stellar incentive upon completion of the challenge, to help you keep up with the healthy habits you have started: Fitbit Flex (taxable value $79.95) or 12 weeks of Weight Watchers (taxable value $156).
Wellness Classes and Programs
Healthy IU wellness opportunities can help you make 2017 the best year yet, no matter what your goals! Register now; classes start soon!
- Mindful Way to Stress Reduction: Enhance mind-body wellness in a small group where you will learn mindfulness techniques to manage stress and improve focus & communication. Wednesdays, January 18-March 29, Noon-1:00 p.m., Campus Center. Register now »
- Ready to Move IUPUI: Work with an IUPUI/PETM student coach who can help you set movement goals, utilize campus resources, understand your activity style, and log your movement in an activity tracker. (Note: This is NOT personal training; rather, this is intended for those who are looking to incorporate more movement throughout their day.) Mandatory orientation January 24, Noon-1:00 p.m., Campus Center. Register now »
- Mid-Day Mindfulness Practice: You are warmly welcome to participate in weekly 30-minute guided meditation practices. This is offered on a drop-in basis; you are invited to attend whenever it fits your needs and/or circumstances—no advance notice required. Two sessions available. Sign up for reminders/updates »
- Chair Yoga: This expert-led class incorporates yoga poses adapted for use with a chair and is great for both beginners and those with yoga experience. Wednesday & Thursday sessions still available. Register now »
- Walk to Wellness: Connect with individuals who share similar health goals, learn important tips focused on healthy nutrition, physical activity, and healthy behaviors, and engage in regular physical activity. Tuesdays, January 24-April 18, 11:00-11:30 a.m., Campus Center. Register now »
Services and Resources Available From the Library
Rachel Hinrichs, Health Sciences Librarian at the IUPUI University Library, has updated services and resources available to FSPH faculty and staff.
Do your students need help with research or evidence based practice?
Ms. Hinrichs can teach classes or develop tutorials on advanced database searching, evidence based practice, source evaluation, and citation management.
Do you teach on Canvas?
Please add Ms. Hinrichs as the librarian for your course. She can answer your students’ questions about research, and embed subject and course-specific resources directly into the course site.
Getting started on a systematic review or extensive literature review?
Ms. Hinrichs offer tiered systematic review services. The library also has access to a systematic review data management system called Covidence, which she would be happy to demo for you.
Need help incorporating metrics into your dossier or complying with IUPUI or federal public access policies?
Please contact Ms. Hinrichs.
Is a journal, tool, or book unavailable from the library that you would like us to purchase?
Let her know. The library has a budget specifically for public health, and she takes requests.
IU Simon Cancer Center Seeks Applicants for 2017 Summer Research Program
If you know of students interested in gaining hands-on experiences in cancer research, encourage them to apply to the IU Simon Cancer Center's 2017 Summer Research Program. Students are paid in the nine-week program (June 5-July 28). The Summer Research Program's primary goal is to increase the number of underrepresented populations engaged in basic, clinical, and prevention and control cancer research by providing positive and meaningful first-hand exposure to those fields. The application deadline is Feb. 28, 2017. The application and more information can be found at www.cancer.iu.edu/srp.