IU Student Enteric Response Team (SERT) is comprised of MPH Epidemiology students investigating enteric outbreak cases and response in Indiana. Students spend 240 hours at the Indiana State Department of Health (ISDH) assisting local health departments. In 2015, ISDH reported that IU SERT helped to reduce the workload of local public health practitioners.
IU SERT duties include:
- Interviewing cases with a standardized questionnaire
- Recording case interview responses
- Ensuring isolates are sent to the ISDH Laboratory
- Notifying state and local authorities of potential outbreaks
- Educating patients on prevention and control measures
For more information, please contact Dr. Joan Duwve, firstname.lastname@example.org.