The IU Richard M. Fairbanks School of Public Health Graduate Certificate in Health Policy is an 18-credit hour program of study designed to meet the needs of working public health professionals who wish to advance their careers by continuing their education. Completing the Certificate will provide you with an introduction to health policy that will incorporate the rapid changes occurring in health care, complex ethical issues, and complicated financing systems. Courses are taught by faculty from the IU Richard M. Fairbanks School of Public Health, as well as the IU Schools of Medicine, Law, Nursing, Public and Environmental Affairs, and Liberal Arts. Graduates who are later accepted into the Fairbanks School of Public Health Master of Health Administration (MHA) degree may be able to apply credits earned in the Graduate Certificate in Health Policy toward the MHA degree, if they do so within 24 months of completing the Graduate Certificate, making this a great choice for those considering pursuing a graduate degree in the future.
Graduate Certificate in Health Policy
To earn the Graduate Certificate in Health Policy, students must complete 18 credit hours of courses which includes 12 credit hours of required courses and 6 credit hours of approved electives. Students must maintain a minimum cumulative grade point average of 3.0 (“B” grade on a 4.0 scale). Students who are already enrolled in the MHA degree program are not eligible for admission to the Graduate Certificate program. All public health courses require authorization before registering. Please call (317) 274-2000 to obtain authorization.
Take 4 courses for a total of 12 credits
- PBHL E517 Fundamentals of Epidemiology (3 credits)
- PBHL H501 U.S. Health Care: Systems, Policies and Ethical Challenges (3 credits)
- PBHL H610 Lean in Healthcare Administration (3 credits)
- PBHL H514 Health Economics (3 credits)
Take 2 courses for a total of 6 credits
- PBHL B551 Biostatistics for Public Health I (3 credits)
- PBHL H518 Statistical Methods for Health Services (3 credits)
- PBHL H615 Health Care Outcomes and Decision Making (3 credits)
- PBHL P632 History of Public Health (3 credits)
- PBHL H516 Health Services Delivery and the Law (3 credits)
- LAW D761 Law and Public Health (3 credits)
- PHIL P547 Foundation of Bioethics (3 credits)
- SOC R515 Sociology of Health and Illness (3 credits)
- LAW D838 Bioethics and Law (3 credits)
- SOC R585 Social Aspects of Mental Health and Mental Illness (3 credits)
- NURS H546 Action Research and Community Health Policy (3 credits)
- NURS H734 Advanced Model Building in Community Health Nursing and Health (3 credits)
- LAW D696 AIDS: Ethical, Legal, and Policy Issues (3 credits)
- LAW D714 Public Policy Mediation (3 credits)
- LAW D695 The New Genetics: Ethical, Legal, and Policy Issues (3 credits)
- LAW D763 Topics in Health Care Law (3 credits)
- PHIL P555 Ethical Policy Issues in International Research (3 credits)
Transfer credit, course substitutions and course waivers are not permitted.
Ready To Get Started?
To apply for to the Graduate Certificate program at the IU Richard M. Fairbanks School of Public Health or to request more information, click a button.