Are you interested in learning what it takes to run a health care delivery system? If so, this is the minor for you. You’ll learn what top thought leaders say about key aspects of administration of today’s health systems. This is a minor that is easy to customize to your specific interests. You will take two required health administration courses, then you will choose three electives from a list that includes health care management, policy, marketing, legal issues, human resources, and health information technology.
Discover the Health Administration Minor
Take two courses for 6 credits:
- PBHL H120* Health Care Delivery in the US
- PBHL H320* Health Systems Administration
** PBHL-H220 will be considered an acceptable substitution for PBHL-H120 for Public Health majors.
Choose three elective courses for 9 credits:
- PBHL H375* Management of Health Services Organizations
- PBHL H411 Chronic and Long Term Care Administration
- PBHL H420 Health Policy
- PBHL H432* Health Care Marketing
- PBHL H441 Legal Aspects of Health Care Administration
- PBHL H330 Global Public Health
- PBHL H310 Lean in Healthcare
- PBHL H325 Health Information Technology, Management and Policy
- PBHL H346 Organizational Behavior and HR Management in Healthcare
- PBHL H345* Operations Management and Quality Improvement in Health Organizations
- PBHL H305 Medical Group Management
- PBHL H315 High Risk Health Behaviors and Harm Reduction
- PBHL H101* Influencing the Public's Health
- PBHL-H303 Topics in Public Health
- PBHL-H455 Topics in Public Health
Why I Chose a Health Administration Minor
“I began working in a pharmacy at the age of 16 and learned quickly I enjoyed working with customers to best utilize their health care and manage their prescription costs. Over time, I learned I was passionate about making the administration side of health insurance 'make sense' for my customers. This minor builds on that passion. It also easily fits into my existing course schedule as a General Studies major, allowing me to expand my education and graduate on time. It also opens doors for potential future studies, such as graduate school.” - Matt Whitlock, Major: General Studies
I chose to be a Health Administration Minor because I really enjoyed taking PBHL-H120: Health Care Delivery in the US. It was fascinating to learn about what goes on behind the scenes in health care.” - Madison Gloyeske, Major: Nursing
“I chose to minor in health administration because I decided that I wanted to build on my Health Science major and gain valuable health administration skills that would help me get into a Master’s in Health Administration program after graduation.” - Kayla Saunders, Major: Health Sciences
“I feel like it is important to understand how health care facilities run, and how the health system works in order to be a good nurse.” - Braxton Gray, Major: Nursing
Students enrolled in baccalaureate programs at Indiana University who are in good academic standing.
The health administration minor is a great fit for students majoring in:
- Social Work
- Dental Hygiene
Public health students majoring in health services management are not eligible for the health administration minor.
Students who successfully complete the requirements for the minor with a grade of "C" or better in all courses credited to the minor will have the minor conferred at time of graduation.
Ready to Get Started?
Students must declare their intention to receive a minor by completing the application for minor form. This application should be completed at the same time you complete the application for graduation for your baccalaureate degree.Declare the minor by completing the application for a minor form or by meeting with your academic advisor.