The Undergraduate Certificate in Community Health provides students with the knowledge, skills and hands-on experience that prepares them to tackle real-world health problems. The coursework for this certificate prepares students to take the Certified Health Education Specialist (CHES) exam.
Discover the Undergraduate Certificate in Community Health - CHES Eligibility
- To earn the certificate, students must complete a minimum of 27 credits in accordance with the specified curriculum, and a "C" or higher is required in each course.
- Students who successfully complete the requirements for the certificate will have this credential added to their official transcript. A printed certificate resembling a diploma will be awarded upon graduation.
- Public Health students majoring in Community Health are not eligible for the Community Health Certificate.
- Students must declare their intention to graduate with the certificate by completing the Application For Certificate form.
The coursework below will prepare students to take the Certified Health Education Specialist (CHES) exam. The certificate in Community Health curriculum consists of nine 3-credit hour courses:
- PBHL S120 – Introduction to Community Health
- PBHL S305 – Careers in Public Health
- PBHL S315 – Community Organizing for Health Promotion
- PBHL S330 – Theoretical Foundations of Community Health
- PBHL S349 – Research Methods in Community Health
- PBHL S360 – Assessment and Planning for Community Health Promotion
- PBHL S361 – Implementation and Evaluation for Community Health Promotion
PLUS - Pick any two of the following courses:
- PBHL S240 – Peer Health Education and Leadership
- PBHL S340 – Cultural Considerations in the Promotion of Health
- PBHL S416 – Health Promotion Application
- PBHL S422 – Coaching for Health Behavior Change
- PBHL S460 – Biosocial Approach to Global Health
- PBHL S469 – Practicum in Community Health
Ready To Get Started?
Students must declare their intention to receive the undergraduate Certificate in Community Health by completing the Application for Certificate form below.