The IU Richard M. Fairbanks School of Public Health Graduate Certificate in Public Health is a 15-credit hour program of study designed to meet the needs of working public health professionals who wish to advance their careers by continuing their education. Completing the Certificate will provide you with a strong foundation in public health theory and concepts. Graduates who are later accepted into the Fairbanks School of Public Health Master of Public Health (MPH) degree may be able to apply credits earned in the Graduate Certificate in Public Health toward the MPH degree, if they do so within 24 months of completing the Graduate Certificate, making this a great choice for those considering pursuing a graduate degree in the future.
Graduate Certificate in Public Health
By completing the Graduate Certificate in Public Health, you will learn how to:
- Use biostatistical methods to analyze and report public health data
- Specify approaches to assess, prevent, and control environmental and occupational hazards to human health and safety
- Use epidemiologic methods to collect, study, analyze and report the patterns of disease in human populations for diverse audiences
- Apply policy process, development and analysis methods to address current national, state and local public health issues
- Identify social and behavioral science factors, theories and models and develop, implement and evaluate interventions designed to positively affect health behaviors in populations
- Exhibit high standards of personal and organizational integrity, compassion, honesty and respect for all people
- Identify the impact of diversity and culture on public health across discipline areas
- Identify the basic ethical and legal principles pertaining to the collection, maintenance, use and dissemination of public health data
To earn the Graduate Certificate in Public Health, students must complete coursework in the five core areas of public health and maintain a minimum cumulative grade point average of 3.0 (“B” grade on a 4.0 scale). All public health courses require authorization before registering. Please call (317) 274-3126 to obtain authorization.
The courses you will take are:
- PBHL A519 Environmental Science in Public Health (3 credits)
- PBHL B551 Biostatistics for Public Health I (3 credits)
- PBHL E517 Fundamentals of Epidemiology (3 credits)
- PBHL H501 U.S. Health Care Systems and Health Policy (3 credits)
- PBHL S500 Social and Behavioral Science in Public Health (3 credits)
Ready To Get Started?
To apply for to the Graduate Certificate program at the IU Richard M. Fairbanks School of Public Health or to request more information, click a button.